Monday, July 27, 2015

"Enjoy this . . . "

This past holiday weekend had its ups and downs. On a positive note Danny didn't have work or school so he was able to spend some well needed quality time with us. We set the alarm for 7:30am Friday morning (the 24th) so that we could get up for the Mapleton parade but Addie had other plans for us. We didn't get to sleep until 3am so when the alarm went off four hours later my desire for the parade was gone and my bed was too comfy to leave it. It was weird because the whole time that I was up with the baby not once did I get impatient or frustrated that I wasn't in bed. Instead I felt oddly calm and I had this thought come over me "enjoy this because others would wish that an unsleeping baby was their only struggle right now". 

I had no clue the huge trial that my sister was struggling with. My brother in law Shawn was involved in an accident Thursday morning and by Thursday night was put on life support with 1% chance to live. If I had known I would like to believe that I would've been there in person to support Kari during this ordeal. Ever since I changed my phone plan I haven't been receiving all my messages and unfortunately all my messages came through the next afternoon two hours after Shawn had already passed away. It hasn't even been a month since my other sister Camila unexpectedly lost her husband Eddie. I ended up calling Kari and offered to help with her little five week old daughter anytime she may need extra hands. 

After that phone call Danny said he wanted to take me out of the house. We decided to check out the 24th of July pioneer celebration at the Mapleton park. They had several food trucks there and were setting up concerts but it was unbearably hot! We walked around for a bit and almost bought some Hawaiian food they had there but then we decided to leave and eat at an actual Hawaiian barbecue restaurant in Provo. It was a smart choice because we got more food for the same price and got to sit in a very air conditioned place. Later that night we watched fireworks up at our secret spot. At least I thought it was "our" secret spot but apparently half of Mapleton knows about it. Addie likes looking at fireworks but hates the noises they make.
We spent most of Saturday at the Spanish Fork swimming pool with Jill, Jaina, Jon and the kids. It took Addie a minute to warm up to the pool but by the end she started loving it. We stayed there almost four hours and Danny and I were the last to leave because Addie was enjoying it too much.
Leaving the pool :)
We made it back to the house for a BBQ and then ended the night with more fireworks. The fireworks were too close for Addie's comfort but once she got to watch them from behind the window inside the house she loved it. That night she had no trouble sleeping at all and slept for twelve hours before we had to wake her up ourselves for church yesterday morning.
I know that not every day will be filled with fun activities and not every night will be full of sleep and I'll have to remember this thought "enjoy this because others would wish that an unsleeping baby was their only struggle right now". 

No comments:

Post a Comment