Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Rylee Surgery

Rylee had surgery yesterday and she did awesome. She was so brave. Her skin tag was removed and it was a bigger deal than we thought it would be but the surgery went great and she did so well. We got to the hospital around 8:45am. I felt like she was nervous but she didn't show any signs of it. She was mostly bored as it felt like a long wait for her surgery to start. The nurses were so nice to her and one even gave her a stuffed bear to keep. The night before I took Rylee to the store where she picked out a duck disguised as a cow. She named him Mud because of the spots. She ended up naming the hospital bear Grape. I believe because the medicine she was given was grape flavored but that's just my guess. The nurses also showed her the hospital playroom. We only lasted in there for five minutes before Rylee asked to go back to the room. She preferred to wait in there. She was taken back at 11:15am and didn't even look back. I believe the surgery was done fairly quickly, the long part was waiting for her to wake up. The nurses were saying that she wasn't budging at all and said it was a nice good snooze for her. I think they worded it that way to soothe me after saying they weren't getting any signs from Rylee indicating she would wake up soon. It was 1pm when she was finally awake and I was with her again but she was still so sleepy and kept falling back asleep. I was curious how the anesthesia would effect her. Some kids wake up angry, others might wake up crying. Rylee woke up very calm and silent. She would respond by nodding her head yes or no but barely spoke a word at all. She looked so out of it. It took another hour before we were discharged and I just carried her to the car because she still didn't seem fully awake. We picked up McDonald's on our way home and within hours Rylee was back to her normal self. She has a follow up appointment in ten days and thankfully there isn't much we need to do as far as care. She was given internal stitches and has skin glue over the cut. The glue should dissolve by her follow up appointment. I'm not sure if the glue was already purple or if it's purple because of the purple mark that was drawn under her skin tag by the doctor. I'm so proud of Rylee and her bravery.

No comments:

Post a Comment