Thursday, April 2, 2020

Return Of The Tooth Fairy

Addie started complaining about tooth pain one morning and when Danny and I looked into her mouth we noticed that her top gums were looking a little purple. Because of quarantine all dental offices are closed and only open for emergencies. I contacted Jill to get her opinion on whether or now she believed this would be an emergency case and she told me that sometimes when kids have deep dental work done it can cause an abscess which is very bad. I was able to get in touch with her dentist who asked if I could send him pictures of her mouth. After he looked at the pictures I sent he said that it would be best to have her come in. Because of Covid 19 only one patient is allowed at a time in the office and there were two people ahead of Addie. He told me that he would be in contact and would let us know when we’d be able to bring her in. We waited all day and it was almost bedtime by the time we got the okay. Addie said that she was feeling okay and would rather us try the next morning so we rearranged a time for her to be seen the next day by the dentist. She was able to sleep just fine with some pain medication but by the next morning she was hurting again but this time when we looked into her mouth she had a noticeable bubble that had not been there the day before. I sent the updated pictures to her dentist and he had us come in right away. Jill was right and it was indeed an infection. The dentist told us that these things can happen from dental work being done or trauma to the face and that he wasn’t sure which one it was. Addie has had no trauma to her face that we know of so it must have been from her last dentist procedure. We were given two options. She could come back the next morning and have work done with her being put to sleep or we could try right then to have her tooth pulled with help from us holding her down and laughing gas. After talking with Danny we decided that we would try right then. Her last experience where she was put under was really traumatic and overall not a good experience for her so we were hoping to avoid that. Addie was extremely brave and the laughing gas should also be given some credit because that helped calm down her nerves tremendously. We didn’t have to hold her down at all and she did amazing just holding my hands. I could tell that the numbing shot hurt because she was a little tense and squeezed my hand a little tighter but she didn’t fight it at all. She didn’t even cry which was unexpected because that numbing shot was applied right in the center of the sorest part of her gums. She did amazing and even though I’ve already said that I can’t help but say it again because she really did so well. I was so proud of her. She didn’t feel it at all when her tooth was pulled and now she has the cutest smile. She’s so excited that the tooth fairy was going to visit her again. 
First morning.
Swelling on second morning.
To reward her bravery I had told her in advance that if she did good we could stop at Target and have her pick out a little gift. I kept my promise to her and off to Target we went. She picked out a Pokémon plush toy which is fitting because she got a Pokémon plush the last time she had dental work done as well. She was really excited when we finally got back home and she got to show her dad and brothers her new smile. Last night the tooth fairy also rewarded her a little extra for her bravery and she sure deserved it.

Root still attached.
Addie I love you and I’m so proud of the strong girl you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment