Monday, August 28, 2023

Two Little Climbers

Welp never thought this would happen to us quite honestly. Rylee is the first out of five kids to climb out of the crib. Despite always hearing other parents talk about having to transition out of cribs early we've always felt lucky that we've never had a climber before. Apparently until now. And not only do we have a climber but we now possibly have two little climbers. Quinn followed suit a couple of days after Rylee first started but we're not entirely sure that Quinn even knows she does it. 

Story time: We don't have a video of Quinn climbing out because hers happened in the middle of the night at 3am. I woke up to what I thought was someone walking up and down our hallway. I waited for Addie or Grant to be walking into our room but no one ever did. I wasn't able to go back to sleep and thirty minutes later I was still awake lost in my thoughts when I heard something again. This time I nudged Danny and told him that I was hearing noises. We both heard what sounded like a door opening and closing so I looked in the monitor and thought I could see that everyone was in their beds which only freaked me out. The monitor screen then scanned back to the twins' room and it turns out that Quinn was not in her bed. I was looking at her room monitor when I could see a little girl opening the bedroom door and I of course assumed it was Rylee. She had learned how to climb out of her crib two days before and the thought that it could be Quinn didn't even cross my mind but then when I was putting the monitor down to get out of bed my eyes caught on the image of Rylee who was still asleep in her bed. I was so shocked because then I knew it was Quinn. I ran to her room and found her by the door looking so out of it. I picked her up and we had a little cuddle session before I placed her back in her bed. I was not able to go back to sleep after that for quite awhile because all I could think about was the fact that she must have been the cause of the noises I was hearing in the halls thirty minutes before we discovered it was her. I couldn't help but imagine how scared she must have been feeling to climb out of her crib for the first time ever only to find that it was the middle of the night and the entire house was dark and quiet with none of the familiar faces around that she's used to seeing. I was surprised she hadn't been crying. Somehow I did get to sleep and sometime after 5am I heard her again getting out of her room and into the hall. I went to her quickly and she still seemed so out of it. It's been a day since that happened and neither of the twins have climbed out since (despite the fact that Rylee had done it a handful of times up to that point) but now that I have had some sleep and I'm able to think more clearly I truly believe that she could have been sleep walking. Danny thinks so too. We had given them half of a melatonin gummy that night and I don't know if it was a side effect or something but she really didn't seem like herself. Plus we're a little familiar with sleep walking because Addie does it. We haven't given it to them since and it might not be any correlation between the two but it was definitely an interesting night. I don't even know if Quinn knows that she did it. Needless to say it's been an interesting week here. If they do continue climbing we'll definitely have to say goodbye to the cribs for good which will be so weird since we've had one in use by a baby or toddler since 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment